Monday, November 4, 2013

Basilcello

Yup, that's a real thing. So, we have a few friends that have prolific basil plants growing, and we have been fortunate enough to reap some of the benefit of that. I had a huge bunch I needed to use, so I made a nice bolognese sauce with fresh basil (maybe more on that in a later post). Even so, I still had a bunch. I looked up basil liqueurs and found that basilcello is a real thing. So, using my basic procedure for liqueurs, I put the remaining leaves (a good 4 C or so) into a gallon plastic jar with 1.75 L of 100 proof vodka and let it steep. I only had it in there for a few days and the basil smell was pretty strong, so I strained it. I then added the cooled simple syrup (3 C purified water, tap does not taste the same, and 1 1/2 C sugar). It turned out pretty good, but I need to practice and tweak a bit. I added 1 more C of purified water and stored it in the freezer. It's actually a pretty mild flavor, and while I didn't know how the sweetness with basil would work, it seems to be fine. Updates will be forthcoming.

Before

After

After after



Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment