Saturday, November 2, 2013

Butternut squash bisque

I finally have a minute to do one of my recipes, which takes me a bit longer to compose, but is what I really prefer to do...So, it's definitely not a new thing, many people have made this, but I have had some requests so here goes. I call it a bisque partly because it sounds fancy, but partly because it's really thick. The majority of it is roasted butternut squash, specifically "roasted". I say that because I see recipes for canned squash all the time and it is not the same. I get whole butternut squashes, split them in half, take out the seeds and pulp, brush with olive oil, sprinkle some garlic salt and roast them in a 350° oven. The taste is so much richer than anything canned or boiled. I'l try to replicate the recipe here, although for the seasoning I do it by taste.

3 whole butternut squashes (the stem and skin are very tough)
1 stick of butter
1/2 C AP flour
4 C chicken stock (organic, free-range, low sodium, if possible)
garlic (to taste)
rosemary (to taste)
cumin (to taste)
thyme (1 t at the most)
coriander (1t at the most)
black pepper (to taste)
sea salt (to taste)

So, as I said, with some of my recipes it's a bit tough since I don't measure, but I think you'll get the gist. Once the squash is roasted (per above instructions, 45 min-1 hr, until fork tender), let cool and scrape flesh into large bowl.
Start the roux: In a large pot, melt the butter, add the flour and cook for a minute, then add the chicken stock. (I used to add a little cream, but I already got in trouble with the wifey for adding the butter...). Then add the squash and spices to taste. At this point it's basically done, just taste and add spices as necessary. It will store for a week or so in the fridge, but if your family is like mine, it won't last too long.
Here's a little photographic proof:

From an extra large batch I made.

Finito!


Here's a little fun fact. We're trying to cook a bit healthier so I substituted the butter for coconut oil (while butter is a thousand times better than margarine, a little goes a long way, and it's better from grass fed cows which can get a bit pricey). Anyway, it turned out good, the coconut seemed to pair well with the squash.


Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment