Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I make this bread at least once or twice a week...

As I've said before, I prefer to add recipes here that I personally use, have modified, etc. However, as time is not always on my side, I have to post recipes that are sent to me or that I have stumbled upon as well. Having said that, here's one I have used for some time that  friend gave me. It's easy and it's awesome to have fresh homemade bread a couple times a week. This recipe makes 2 loaves, and depending on my mood, I typically make one in a ceramic loaf pan and one in a 9" round ceramic pan. However, the other night, I made this recipe into 6 individual loaves, baked them on the pizza stone, and then hollowed them out to be filled with homemade New England clam chowder, very nice. Ok, enough banter, here it is:

2 1/2 C warm water (about 100°F)
2 T yeast
2 T sugar
2 t salt
2 t lemon juice
6 1/2 C AP flour

Whisk yeast, sugar, salt, and lemon juice into warm water in mixer bowl, let sit for a minute until yeast dissolves and it becomes a bit frothy.
Put on mixer stand, and using the bread hook, mix on low while slowly adding the flour. once it's all incorporated mix on medium for a few minutes to knead the dough and get the gluten working. Scrape onto floured surface and knead by hand for another minute or so. Divide in half and rise in two bigger bowls or baking dishes (like loaf pans) until ready to bake. After an hour or so, the dough will be doubled. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Loaves should be just golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Let cool on wire rack and gnom gnom gnom....


I scored these 2, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with rosemary and course ground sea salt.




I have another loaf I like to make, a Boston brown bread, very hearty, with rye, whole wheat, and cornmeal, golden currant, and molasses. Alas, I have no pics at this time...It is baked in a large can in a water bath for 2 hours. Very nice on a cool fall/winter night. More on that later, with pics, hopefully. So, have fun, and as always, experiment!


Buon appetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment