Monday, July 8, 2013

And another...

So, I make mozzarella caprese often. We've made it with sliced tomatoes, diced tomatoes, whole cherry or grape tomatoes, etc. It's very easy and has very few ingredients, but it's great in lieu of a salad or a side. I had a little leftover pesto, so this time I made it with sliced tomatoes:

Ok, I apologize for the way the pesto "swirls" look...

All it takes is fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, a small drizzle of olive oil and some course sea salt. Bada bing bada boom! Amazing anytime, and now I recommend throwing some homemade pesto on top. If you're planning on having enough for leftovers, I would recommend using whole cherry/grape tomatoes, otherwise it will get too soggy. 
I think I talked about pesto before, but when I make it I don't measure. Typically pesto is simply fresh basil, some sharp Italian cheese, minced or fresh garlic, toasted pine nuts, and olive oil. I add salt at times depending on the saltiness of the cheese. I never add balsamic vinegar as some do, which is fine for them. I also substitute walnuts or pecans for pine nuts since I often have them on hand and pine nuts are a bit spendy. So, the base is a ton of basil, of course and it works best in a food processor. Toss everything in and slowly pour olive oil as it puree's just until moist enough. It will last for a couple of days in the fridge, and is good on anything. If I don't have basil, I usually buy a whole plant and use it all. I would say maybe a cup of roasted nuts, a cup and a half of cheese (romano or asiago), etc. Like I said, I never measure, but it always tastes good. 



Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

  1. Love mozzarella caprese and love pesto.....my basil is in the seedling stage right now, I guess I got a late start!!!!I enjoy your blog Joel!

    ReplyDelete