Monday, July 29, 2013

Key Lemon???

The other day I was wondering what I could make with the abundance of lemon juice I had from making 2 batches of limoncello. I decided to experiment, and make a key lime pie only with fresh lemon juice. Well, it worked. So, I thought I might quickly share it here:

As with the key lime...

Crust:
2 C graham cracker crumbs
1/4 C sugar
6 T melted butter

Filling:
15 egg yolks
3 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 C fresh lemon juice
1 lemon for zesting

 Topping:
1 pint of whipping cream
1/4 sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 t pure lemon extract (I do not use imitation extracts)
Leftover zest

Mix the crust ingredients, press firmly into a 10" springform, and bake for 10 min @ 325°

 Mix the filling ingredients (I do it by hand, otherwise it gets too frothy) with about 1/2 the zest (the other half gets saved for decoration).

Once crust is cooled a bit, add filling and bake for 35-45 min @ 325° or until the center is set (I put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven to add a bit of moisture while baking). Let cool. Whip cream, and once totally cooled, top pie with it and sprinkle on the remaining zest. Totally easy.


disregard the somewhat hurried and sloppy decorating 



Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment