Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Another experiment...

So, I'm always trying to think of ways to expand my repertoire as far as new recipes go. To date, I've made probably at least a dozen types of liqueurs and today I added another notch to the ol' proverbial gun. I have long since been a fan of hazelnut in any way, shape, or form. I researched quite a bit about hazelnut extract and it appears to be difficult to find a decent pure extract for a decent price. I did, however, find quite a few recipes to make my own. So, after perusing a bunch of them, I decided to do 1 cup of roasted, chopped hazelnuts, to 1 cup of vodka and let it "steep" for at least 4 weeks. I can't tell you how it turned out since that was less than a week ago. I will update, though, later on. I ended up buying some extract, the best one for the price I could find. It turned out to be pretty good, and quite concentrated, which helps. I needed some for my 2-layer hazelnut/Frangellico/Nutella cheesecake anyway. So, today I made a hazelnut liqueur. I think it turned out good, but I always get several  opinions before I call it "done". As with the anisette, I used extract this time, as opposed to the "cellos" that I make with various zests.

1.75 L vodka (I used a better quality 80-proof instead of my usual 100-proof mediocre vodka this time)
3 C filtered water (I was using tap, but was advised to use filtered, and it does make a difference)
2 C sugar
1/4 C pure hazelnut extract

As before, I heated the water/sugar mix until the sugar was dissolved, then added the hazelnut extract and took off the heat. Let cool. Add to vodka. The longer it sits, the better it seems to get, too.

Here it is, looks and tastes pretty good. 


Buon Appetito!







No comments:

Post a Comment