Friday, May 3, 2013

My Tiramisu

As promised, here's my tiramisu recipe. It's pretty easy and homemade is just as good or better than any I've ordered. In this pic I a sprinkled some orange zest over it, which I don't normally do, however, it paired with chocolate really well. Just as a heads-up, I use BelGioioso mascarpone, 16 oz (which, for the record, costs less at Chef Smart than the typical 8 oz container does at the grocery store). Actually, for that matter I get the mascarpone and lady fingers at Chef Smart (for the locals). I also use the leftover coffee from the morning mixed with a little rum to dip the lady fingers in and I do not toast them, although it's a good idea. I usually grate some dark or semi -sweet chocolate over the top as well as a light dusting of cocoa powder. Have fun with it, but here's a basic recipe to get started.





Famous TiramisĂș Dessert
3 large eggs (*or pasteurized egg substitute)
1 cup espresso or strong coffee
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cognac or brandy
8 oz. BelGioioso Mascarpone
2 Tbsp. cocoa
10 ladyfingers, toasted
Step 1: Combine 3 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp. espresso, sugar and cognac in large mixing bowl. Beat 2-3 minutes. Add Mascarpone and beat 3-5 minutes until smooth.
Step 2: In another bowl, combine 3 egg whites and a pinch of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into Mascarpone mixture. (*If using egg substitute, skip Step 2 and beat until fluffy.)
Step 3: Dip one side of each ladyfinger into remaining espresso and layer on bottom of small serving dish.  Spread Mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with cocoa. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.  Serves 6.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment