Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Comfort Food

Sometimes very basic, old fashioned, comfort food is in order. Simple often equates to great in the culinary world. I remember when we were in Italy (more stories to come on that btw), on most days, our lunch would consist of a crusty loaf of bread, some good Italian cheese, olives from the open market down the street, and wine. What could be simpler, or more satisfying. So, last night I threw together a pot roast stew and crostini dinner that turned out to be one such comfort food occasion. Some roasts have to be done low and slow, like in the 275°-290° range. Here's what I did:

3# beef rump roast
carrots
potatoes
celery
onion
6 C beef stock

I used a large pot with metal handles and a glass/metal lid so I could put it in the oven later. The basic rule of thumb for low and slow roasting is about an hour per pound, which can be done in the oven or in a crock pot.

I heated the pot and browned the carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes separately with a little olive oil and garlic salt. Then I seasoned the meat with salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper and seared it on all sides in the same pot I had used for the veggies and then set it aside.

While the pan was still hot, I poured in the beef stock to deglaze (loosen all the yummy bits stuck to the pan). I added a little salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper to the stock as well. Then I gently put the roast back in along with all the vegetables. I covered it and put it in the oven (preheated to 275°) for about 3 hours.

I realize that I had said I would start doing my cooking with pics of the process as a "pic tutorial" sort of thing, and I will. At the time, though, I thought that it was so simple I probably wouldn't be posting about it, but then figured that maybe it's simplicity is the beauty of it?

Anyway, it's even better the second day, and while I wish I had been able to leave the meat in a bit longer, the flavors worked out well. As far as the crostini goes, it is beyond simple. Find a nice baguette (or make one) slice it thin, lightly brush with a little olive oil, sprinkle a little garlic salt on top, and bake at about 325° for 10-15 minutes. These are so versatile, you can use them for the componatta (older post), or put a dab of pesto as an appetizer, or use them on soup night, etc, etc...




Simple, comforting, filling, and even pretty healthy. Have fun with food.


Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment