Monday, June 3, 2013

The simple things...

We had the pleasure of hanging with some wonderful friends last night, and I brought a plain cheesecake for dessert. I had previously posted about cheesecakes earlier, but here's a follow up, mainly to show some pics.

Here it is served with my raspberry "amaretto" sauce (in quotes since I didn't actually use amaretto, I used my homemade almond liqueur)



Someone had mentioned that I should take more pics and walk people through the entire process, since there are those that are just getting into cooking/baking, etc. I will start doing that. However, since the cheesecake is now basically gone, I will do that next time...

My basic recipe is:

Crust:
2 C of crumbs (I like to use biscotti, but graham crackers work ok, too)
1/4 C sugar
6 oz melted butter

Mix and spread in 10" springform pan. Press firmly with hands or flat bottomed cup. Bake @ 325° for 10-15 minutes. Take out and let cool as you finish mixing filling.

Filling:
2 1/2 lbs cream cheese, softened
1 3/4 C sugar
3/4 C sour cream
1/8 C flour
5 eggs
1/4 C lemon juice
1/8 C vanilla

Very basic, but there's something very satisfying about the simple creaminess of a plain cheesecake. So, I usually leave the cream cheese out overnight since it makes it much easier to work with. Blend the cc by itself for a while (at this point you can mix on medium or high, but later, once all ingredients  are added, I always mix on low. Otherwise it will get too fluffy). Add sugar, mix, scrape often. These first couple of steps are the most important since it's nigh unto impossible to get the little lumps of cc smooth if it's 1. not room temp, and 2. once other ingredients are added. Also, scrape often, I reiterate.  I also add the flour along with the sugar, since it's a small amount and doesn't seems to make any difference at what point it's added. Add all other ingredients and mix on low, stopping to scrape often.     Slowly pour into springform (to avoid bubbles) and bake @ 235° for 4-4 1/2 hours. Yes, that is correct. This will ensure, a nice texture with no browning or cracking. I usually put a pan of water on the bottom rack for a bit of extra moisture, too. 

Raspberry Amaretto Sauce:

So, I cheat a little now. I used to use fresh or frozen rasberries, but now I use seedless raspberry jam. 

1 jar of seedless jam (size depends on amount you want, I usually use an 18 oz jar).
Lemon juice 
Amaretto

As you can see, there are no amounts to the liquid. That's because I do it to taste. I'll try, though. Add the whole jar of jam to a medium sauce pan, about 1/4 C lemon and 1/4 C Amaretto (again, I used my homemade almond instead, basically the same). Heat just until it all comes together in a sauce, no need to boil or cook. Again, to taste, if it needs more of either lemon or amaretto, go for it. You can use a little water instead of amaretto, too, but why??? Anyway, cool and serve. I use a squeeze bottle. This stuff is good on a variety of things, not just the cheesecake, ie. ice cream, brownies and ice cream, etc. 

This pic makes it look very short, hmm, interesting. Anyway, it's in a 4" deep pan. Here it is cooling after baking.



When the center is convex, and it doesn't jiggle too much, it's done. Here's a point that I must mention, let cool completely before covering! Yes, it deserved an exclamation point. If you're making a cheesecake that will have a topping it's not as crucial, but with a plain cheesecake, if you cover it too soon, condensation will drip off plastic onto the top of it and pock mark it. Very sad indeed. Once cooled, plastic wrap and store in fridge until cutting time (no more than a day, it will start to get a faint metal taste from pan). 

Ok, to cut. It is an issue, I promise. I always sold them cut, since it's a huge pain to cut them and they look nice if you do it right. I once had a customer that insisted they did not need it cut, because they wanted to have Happy Birthday written on top of it...they later told me they would never order on uncut again...

Find a long, thin, very straight bladed knife. I use a salmon filet knife actually. Boil water, stick blade in water, wipe water off on towel, make first cut (we cut on a lazy susan). Wipe knife blade clean, dip in water, etc. It is a chore, but as ou will see, it make very nice slices. We then cut deli papers in half and put one on both sides of each piece so they don't stick together and put them onto a 12" cardboard round.






There it is. Looks nice, eh? So, if this seems like too much of a pain, and you don't have a 10" springform, this recipe will also work for 3, 9" pre-made graham crusts. Again, there is something very satisfying about a plain cheesecake. If you do go through the trouble of making a real cheesecake, please, I beg of you, DO NOT RUIN IT WITH STORE BOUGHT PIE FILLING! Sorry to yell, but it's a serious offense. 



Ok, that's the last pic, I promise. I will attempt the step by step recipes later on, for now...


Buon Appetito!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment