Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pão de queijo: Brazilian cheese bread



Another buddy showed me this and though I have not had time to try it, I thought it looked great, and if I'm not mistaken, it's gluten free (which seems to be the new fad now). I will definitely try this and it will become a repost, I'm quite sure. I'm not convinced that I would use rice bran oil, but a lighter oil does sound good, like maybe a canola, grapeseed, almond, or hazelnut oil or something to that effect.





Pão de queijo: brazilian cheese bread

Ingredients:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil (I used rice bran oil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
225g / 1/2lb tapioca starch (also known as manioc starch, cassava starch etc)
1 egg
100g / 1/4lb finely grated parmesan (or similar) cheese 

- In a saucepan, combine milk, water, oil, salt and bring to boil. 
- Remove pan from heat and slowly pour the liquid on to the tapioca in a bowl while stirring it with a wooden spoon to a dough texture. (You may not need all the liquid mixture - stop pouring if the dough starts to become too soft and moist.)
- Stir in the egg, and lastly, the cheese. 
- Grease hands, knead and make approximately a dozen little balls - mine were about the size of golf balls or a bit larger. (I had to shape rather than roll mine because my mix, while not liquid, was still quite mushy - and as you can see they're more like little lumps. They did end up puffing up nicely in the oven though!)
- Arrange on a greased baking tray, leaving enough space between each ball for expanding. Bake in an oven that has been preheated at 200°C (392ºF) for 20 minutes or till they transform into golden puffs. 
- Best served hot or warm.


Buon Appetito!



Posted by leaf (the indolent cook)

No comments:

Post a Comment