Thursday, April 25, 2013

Peach Wine Cake

What could be better than mixing desserts with alcohol! Before I jot down the old recipe, let me just say it involves a cake mix...I know, I know! Oh, the shame! As most people that have glanced at my blog know, I prefer homemade, and typically scoff at anything not from scratch ( just for my own cooking, no judgement here). However, as I have said on occasion, sometimes you gotta give in a bit...
Here's a recipe for a peach wine cake that I find to be perdy dern goood (for my southern constituents). I have a pretty major issue with dry baked goods, and by that I mean baked goods that are supposed to be moist, and (dare I use the advanced culinary term again???) yummy, but, sadly, are not. Things like cakes, muffins, etc. Take a stand against the dry! Anyway, of course, dry and crispy is a good thing, ie, biscotti, etc (which reminds me, I should dig out some biscotti recipes). See kids, adult ADD can be fun! Where was I? Oh yes, because of my lifelong fight against the "dry", I really like this recipe. I also have one for a Frangelico cake, which is almost exactly the same, but with chocolate cake and, of course, Frangelico. Pouring a liquid over a cake once it's baked makes a lot of sense to me, pouring alcohol over cake makes even more sense...

Peach Wine Cake

1 box white cake (preferably a decent brand with the pudding inside)
4 eggs
3/4 C oil
1 box peach jello
1 C peach wine

Mix all ingredients, pour into bunt pan (slightly greased, cooking spray works, and floured), and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once done and out of the oven, place on a plate with a bit of an edge (wouldn't want to waste any wine, of course) and let cool for about 5 minutes, then slowly pour the peach wine over it (but wait, you may ask, there's no measurement for the peach wine?!? Ok, ok, the actual recipe says something like 3-4 T, but really, who are we kidding?!?). As I said, slowly pour the peach wine, depending on the crowd will determine how much. If there are kids, maybe only do the 3-4 T, but if not, do as much as you want, 1/4-1/2 C at least. You want it moist. Since it's a pretty sweet recipe, I like to serve it with canned peaches not in syrup, and a very lightly sweetened whipped cream to cut the sweetness a bit.

Here's one "pre-adornment" (before peaches and whipped cream).

I know, I feel guilty, too. So, to assuage the guilt, you can make it from scratch, adding the peach jello and peach wine to your recipe, and then dousing it in the peach wine. It's up to you. It's easy and it seems to be a crowd pleaser, but more importantly, it's moist.



Buon Appetito!  


No comments:

Post a Comment