Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce...







Here's a roasted red pepper sauce that my brother gave me the recipe to. Anything with roasted red peppers is good with me! It's easy, versatile, and (to use an extremely advanced culinary term) yummy. It can be used as a dipping sauce with crostini, or fresh bread, or crackers, whatever you like. One of my favorite uses is as a topping for my polenta appetizer (I'll post that recipe sometime soon).  Here you go:

Ingredients:

2 large red peppers
2 T olive oil
1 t salt (or more to taste)
1 c cream
1 T minced garlic (I buy a large jar of minced garlic in olive oil)

*Roasted peppers: You can buy them in a jar, but, though they're a lot of work to roast, they're much, much better homemade! I do mine on the grill, but if you have a gas stove, that works, or the even under the broiler. The trick is to have the heat on "medium" so the outside chars and the inside cooks. On the grill or gas burner, using tongs, continue to rotate to get an even char on all sides. Once the pepers are softened and all the skin is basically burnt, throw them in a paper bag and seal it. While they sit, their own steam will help to finish the cooking. Once they've cooled off, remove all stems, skin, and seeds, and cut into strips. Toss with a little olive oil, thinly sliced fresh garlic, and salt for every day inhaling, I could eat them by the cup full. For this recipe, though, once the seeds, etc have been removed, follow recipe.

Direction:

Using a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients and puree. Pour into a pan and simmer until it thickens. Sauce can be eaten warm or cold, I prefer it cold as a garnish on the polenta...Like I always say, have fun and experiment. For instance, my brothers recipe didn't have garlic in it (or maybe he forgot to write that down), either way, I added some. Another option you might like is to toss a few fresh basil leaves in when pureeing.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment