Saturday, April 13, 2013

Tuna Pasta Salad

Yes, it is good...stop questioning me...kidding! It is good, though. So we have a Friends of Italy meeting tonight and it being in the 70's and low humidity, amazing, I thought I would do a cool dish (not as in hip, rad, tubular, etc, but cold). So, I threw together a pasta salad with tuna. The mayo types are ok, (not to be confused with the fake Miracle Whip stuff), but they can be heavy. So, what I do it take some zesty Italian (one of my many pseudonyms) dressing and add a little mayo, you still get some richness, but not the heaviness. As always, be creative. I used a box of tri color rotini for my base, then added:

tuna (drained, 3-cans this time)
roasted red peppers (1 jar, thinly sliced)
minced black olives (small can)
capers (2 t)
cucumbers (3 minis, cubed)
carrots (2, grated)
celery (2 pcs, thinly sliced) *incidentally, I peel the celery to remove some of the strings...
mozzarella (cubed small)
peas (about1 1 1/2 C)

Ok, for the dressing (*dress lightly, in my humble opinion, for best results):

zesty italian (about half of a 16oz bottle)
mayo (real, about1.2 C)
lemon zest (1 lemon)
lemon juice (1/2 of the same lemon)
1 t rosemary
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 t stone ground mustard (a bit spicy)
1 T dill



So, there it is. The photo is not the greatest, I apologize. Also, again, it's often tough to share "recipes" since a lot of us wing it as we go. This is a basic idea and as always, be creative. If I missed something, add it, if I added something you don't like, skip it. It's a great spring/summer dish and there are millions of possibilities with it. 

Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment